You may understand that there is a constant threat of being attacked by online hackers, but do you know where these attacks are coming from? Do you know whether you are under serious threat or not? And what is your company doing to protect themselves from these threats? Cybersecurity companies around the globe are constantly monitoring network activity to detect dangerous threats. From the efforts of these cybersecurity companies come fascinating stats that tell us who’s being attacked and who is the attacker. By analyzing where attacks are coming from and who is being attacked, you will learn more about what kind of threat you are in.

Before anything else, let’s give you what you came here for, the statistics…

Countries Making Attacks:

China – 21%
United States – 11%
Brazil – 7%
Russia – 6%
India – 5%
Japan – 4%

Countries Facing Threats:

United States – 69%
Spain – 6% 

China – 6% 

Singapore – 5%
France – 3%
UK – 3%

If you are wondering where and how these kinds of numbers are found, there are numerous attack maps that display what cybersecurity companies are reading their monitoring efforts. However, that may not explain how the cybersecurity companies are able to locate who is being affected and where the attack is coming from. The attacks are located with things such as geofilters and other software that can identify each detected activity through the IP (Intellectual Property) address it comes from.  

Now, what’s truly interesting is looking at these numbers and asking yourself, “why these countries?” and “what does it mean?”

First, looking at the countries making attacks, it is worth noting that the top six countries make up about 55% of the world’s cyber-attacks. That leaves 45% of all other attacks dispersed amongst a plethora of other countries. However, pay attention to what the majority of these countries have in common: larger populations and/or more advanced technologies. Those two factors might saturate the results.

While the top-six attacking countries make up 54% of all attacks, the top six countries that face threats make up an astonishing 92% of all countries in threat. Further, the United States is by far more targeted than anyone else. The question is, why these countries? The countries with the most economic and political power are under the most attack. According to Symantec, 90% of these attacks target intelligence, 11% are for disruption, and 9% is for financial purposes.

In closing, the cost of an average breach for companies worldwide is $4.35 million dollars, and the average cost of a breach for a U.S. company is $9.44 million dollars. If you are a company in the United States, you are under attack more than double any other company outside of the U.S. To be sure you are safe from these attacks, contact a reliable cybersecurity company today. 

Published On: October 9th, 2023